Sunday, December 11, 2011

"Midnight City" by M83



I was assigned as co-class rep alongside this 29-year old girl whose dad struck it rich in the late 80s for writing a screen play that got turned into a film that grossed so-many millions of dollars. Growing up in Hollywood, she exudes this aura of superficiality, but underneath it all she does in fact care about life - down to the most minute level (she has been a veterinary tech for more than five years). We hang out alot in this platonic fashion that I can only describe as "two parts complementing each other" because she regards me a being quietly cerebral and I see her as an over-the-top loud-mouth. In many ways it appears that the concept of us being assigned as co's was either strategically planned or serendipitous. Given the nature of my professor's decision making, it's a good chance that she did a mix of both.

In our furor of stress and finals, this girl and I have been basically tearing up downtown LA, jumping bar to bar, ceaselessly fighting sleep and responsibility. And this girl always plays stuff like Empire of the Sun and M83 [and she actually showed me that Bag Raiders' song I posted a few days back]. When I inquire about her tastes, she tells me, "I am a product of the 80s."

So here we are, driving up and down Fairfax, listening to music. She's pumping her fist to "Midnight City" and I'm smoking a cigarette [which I swear to God is something I never do], and I'm just like, "This song is this moment right now."

And I guess that's the point of my story: This song is this moment right. Or was that moment right then. Or this song just is.

1 comment:

Charmaine said...

Heard this in either Forever 21 or H&M... Great song!! So glad you posted it! Now I know the name...