Friday, October 23, 2009

The Knife - We Share Our Mother's Health (and the Remix!)

This is my current obsession at the moment: The Knife's "We Share Our Mother's Health". I heard the Ratatat remix first, however, so I'm a bit more partial to the remix... but the original is still very original and fun! (I'm having a hard time choosing which version I like more.)

Here's the original version by The Knife. The Ratatat remix is after the cut. Compare and see for yourself (please don't mind the video for the Ratatat remix... It's utterly random, I know)!

By the way, the music video for the original version of the song is an ambiguous delight and was directed by Motomichi Nakamura. Decipher at will.


The Knife - We Share Our Mother's Health



The Knife - We Share Our Mother's Health (Ratatat Remix)

5 comments:

mark said...

super weird!

Yuan Fang said...

Original Sin/ the fall of man?

just a thought....

Yuan Fang said...

love the song, btw

Yuan Fang said...

walking nerdfest here-

~the apples, the women walking free, and the men in shackles, plus the literal "fall". The obvious interpretation of the flying things would be as angels- divine deliverers of life and the source of temptation. The wine and food might just refer to the coming of Christ and subsequent redemption of man.

female: apples-fruits maybe, you know what I think, it'd be so wasted

and the E coli- looking things, with apples all around, might that not be mitochondria with signal receptors? they're known to be only passed down through the maternal line. This might be what symbolically carries the "curse" of the apples taken in the Garden of Eden.

On a deeper, conceptual level, the song might explore the relationship between men and women, and the source of materialism that is carried over from the earliest days of mankind. And the struggle against the fate that is encoded in our very genetics- the very curse that is abstracted and symbolized in religion (for lack of science to provide an explanation). I say struggle, because it is the choice of mankind to reject the fruit~

thank you very much for the video,

this song is a gem crafted by some very thoughtful people. :D

Charmaine said...

Glad you liked the video, Yuan!

That is a very interesting interpretation. When I first watched it I honestly didn't know what to make of it (and I've watched it several times). I thought it had to do with "transforming the human race" into something tainted and twisted (hence the clips of torturous surgery and perhaps the introduction of new cells or DNA or antigens into the body). But I couldn't correlate that thought with the apples and the severing of heads :P.

The director of the video (Motomichi Nakamura) actually provides some insight into his videos. Check out his website (with more music videos), which I linked to when you click his name (in my entry). His style is amazing! I was planning on posting some on The Wire Box.