Thursday, December 24, 2009

Zee Avi - No Christmas For Me this Year


So, here's the story. I'm a frequent reader of Angry Asian Man, who gave a little promotion to UCI alum Lilian Bui who is not the nursing major I shared a dorm with, but shares the same name. Anyway, Ms. Bui did a rendition of this song, and upon hearing the original version, I decided they were very similar and went with posting the original.

Both of their voices are similar and ring of old school jazz style (like Ella Fitzgerald or Madeleine Peyroux) mixed with a little bit of the childishness of Regina Spector (except they're both better singers, in my opinion). Anyway, the song is pretty and Zee Avi apparently released an album recently, and the rest of her music is also pretty good. She's Malaysian, born in Borneo, so it's really weird to hear an Asian sing like this rather than something off TFC or youtube. Zee Avi's definitely an artist I intend to follow.

1 comment:

Charmaine said...

You dormed with Lilian?! Haha.

I like Zee Avi's "Bitter Heart". I found out about her on imeem a few months back. Yeah, Asian singers represent! :P I like her voice. She's so young too.