Wednesday, August 12, 2009

MUCC

While bored at work, I recently rediscovered a Japanese Rock band, MUCC. They're basically your usual Hard Rock Japanese group (a bit Visual Kei), but until today I'd never thought to research them further. I was randomly looking into a few lyrics translations for some of their songs and found them to be really amazing. Although their PVs (promotional videos, aka: music videos) are mostly less than spectacular and very typical of J-Rock, the music and lyrics more than make up for it. With that, I give you a small sampling of my personal "Best of MUCC".

First and foremost, my personal favorite song of the moment:

MUCC - 流星 (Ryuusei [Falling Stars])

Video: here

[lyrics and more after the break]

Lyrics (translated):
The sleeper keeps small petals lined up side-by-side with a rusty rail track
I walk with naked feet in a grassland, I look up at random--starry sky without moon
Panorama of falling stars down-pouring, twinkling of many thousands of light-years.
The Greek mythologies of spargles paint this pure sky of a pale deep blue,
Damp tiptoes, I look at the sky, I walk
Leading your hand, inside the dirty palm of your hand.

I don’t forget the true landscape’s color you used to love.
Nevertheless, now even stardust is shining too much.

Trembling lover submerged in tears
This fastened hand, so sadly warm.

Don’t forget the beauty of the future seen in your dream
Group of falling stars, stars vanished, your smile

Blame me of having closed your sky
In this sky that you look up at, now what are you thinking about?

Trembling lover submerged in tears
This fastened hand, slender, feeble
Streaming, your tears looks like stars
Now, in this sky filled up, become a meteor

Stars are coloring this pure sky, rail track is wet by the night fog
On the rusting-away sleeper, the 4-petal flowers keep the faddish life
As if fastened hands couldn't let go themselves
As if fastened fingers couldn't let go

High in the sky, falling stars are raining incessantly, like an early-summer rain or a light shower in autumn
On this Earth, maniac of cleanliness, I walk with naked feet on the tracks of this sole rail track
Fastened warm hand
The muck palm of your hand

Panorama of falling stars down-pouring, I walk on damp tiptoes
As if fastened hands couldn't let go themselves
As if fastened hearts couldn't let go


MUCC - リブラ (Libra)

This is considered to be their best PV. I've only seen a few so far, but this one is definitely good and adds a new layer of depth to the song.

Video: here

Lyrics (translated):
With your dominant arm, you grab the reality
With your other arm, you uphold the morality
You light up the love deep in your heart
You weigh things up with the scales inside your head
Inside the dense and thick darkness you hide your own shadow
The sound of the dirty abacus echoes in the world--please stop!

In this world where feelings are only a hindrance,
shoot and kill me!
Who is using the scale?
Who is using the abacus?
Who is playing the Humelin flute?
Who is the boy that cried wolf?
Rather than caring about these things right now, I love you!

Flower, now in full bloom, already late in telling me
The meaning of living right here, right now
The meaning of tomorrow's coming

With your dominant arm, you have desire
With your other arm you hide immorality
If you could shut love deep away in your heart
The saint in your head will laugh
The brave flower that grows in the vacant lot,
Surrounded by the tower buildings that take away the sunlight's rays
People eyes are glared by these buildings
Soon, the flower stopped breathing
The wind was only gently caressing,
Only wind was gently caressing

The thing about living, that is like wandering in the darkness, not able to see a thing,
the thing about dying, that is also darkness, "the end" is no way "the beginning"
That's why we need to light up the darkness now
Burn up our life in a flash after realizing our radiance
The proof of life is hard to reach, but strong

Flower, now in full bloom, you had told me
the meaning of living right here, right now,
the meaning of tomorrow's coming
I am going to die someday
What can I do for you?
Rays of light shine eternally from the rising sun onto this world.


MUCC - ファズ (FUZZ)

Video: here

Lyrics (translated):
Listening to you sing quietly to yourself I was overwhelmed with love
And held your hand while we waited on the subway platform
Why don't you sing that song for me once more
My sweet and happy songbird

This day will turn into tomorrow
So why don't we keep it as a memory
We've only just parted but i already miss you
This time I've fallen deep
You are not with me now

Is it the seasons that change?
Or is it our hearts?

Tokyo, Coin toss, Dive
Before my heart works out which one is the answer
Tokyo, Coin toss, Dive
Sweetie, let me hold you

There will come a day when it's as clear as the sky
Water turns to cloud, sky turns to wind, and I turn to thoughts of you
I'm so humane, it's pitiful, and so selfish too
And then

I fall in love so much I lose all self-control, and it's goodbye
This planet revolves on encounters and separations
An unexpected reunion would be a joy
The heartbeat that was wrung out

Tokyo, Coin toss, Dive
It was you who knocked on the rusted doors of my heart, wasn't it?
Tokyo, Coin toss, Dive
Sweetie, come to me and dive on in

We've fallen in love



There are many more great MUCC songs, but this is a good beginner's sampling of the must-see and must-hear.

Also, Japanese lyrics are so beautifully poetic ... sure puts American music to shame. >__> (Though not all, of course.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for posting

Charmaine said...

Huh! I like these guys. "Libra" is good :). I never really heard much "J-rock" (only the pop stuff, you know). This is a good change, haha.