Thursday, August 27, 2009

RIP Ted Kennedy: A Politics Junkie Moment

As anyone who even passively follows the news should know, Ted Kennedy, the last of the Kennedy Brothers, nicknamed the "liberal lion" of the Senate. So, since that day, I've been looking for some kind of tribute song for him, and I found it on Andrew Sullivan's blog (that's where I get all those weird and trippy videos, by the way).

Anyway, Orrin Hatch is one of the musically inclined Senators. And he wrote this song for Ted Kennedy. Yes, he wrote a song. He's actually written several songs. This was co-written with Phil Springer ("Santa Baby"). I think this is actually Hatch singing, which is pretty cool. Definitely a nice old man folk style voice. It's kind of unintentionally hilariously patriotic, but it's a nice song and tribute nonetheless.
I'm sure you're wondering what a liberal Democrat from Massachusettes and a conservative Morman Republican from Utah could have in common, but this is a music blog, so just appreciate the music. =p

Edit: The Singer is Tony Middleton. He's a jazz singer of limited fame.

2 comments:

mark said...

That's legit.

Charlene Grace said...

Wow, this is a nice song. I never would've expected it to be written by a Senator. Makes me feel sad listening to it, though. haha.